Creation ministries seems rather reactionary attacking the messenger like a good partisan propaganda organization. CM is part of the manifestation of political Christianity where Christian identity must be protected at all costs truth be damned. The article has a very selective memory of the Scientific Revolution, Renaissance, Reformation & the Enlightenment...History is messy and not simplistic...I think it would be news to Copernicus, Giordano Bruno and Galileo that it was known so easily that the earth was a small place in the Universe. Yes some scriptures would speak to this to some degree but the prevailing Christian view was solipsistic for centuries until the Scientific Revolution with Copernicus, Bruno, and Galileo.
Bruno was burned alive for holding the big universe view in the year 1600 in Rome...It was important to the Church that the earth remained the center of the universe since it held the rather proud species of humans.
Below are my comments with this articles summary...
- Hawking’s greatest works were in black hole physics.Comments--ok but as I saw some of the people who work for Creation ministries have various degrees that are not always specific in biology or cosmology but does that discredit everything they say on biology or some other field? What man or woman is an expert in all the sciences?
- He has courageously fought against a terrible physical disability. His Christian wife Jane was a great support, but eventually he left her after 25 years of marriage.Comments- This is an Ad Hominem attack. One could easily say that some are Christian based on their experience raised as a Christian or who they are married to. And how many Christians have bad marriages as well. Everyone is a prisoner to determinism and experience not just the atheist.
- His fame largely rests on his weak attempts to exclude God based on tendentious physics. His atheism was present early, and was an assumption he brought to his physics; it was not derived from his science. It was also a source of growing conflict in his marriage, that stretched it to breaking point. Comments - More Ad Hominem attacks. Again I could go over the historical record of corrupt popes, priests, preachers and other Christians but does that discredit what is true or not? It would be like saying since Bishop Eddie Long committed adultery with teenage boys and hes a christian therefore Christianity is not true.
- Hawking’s latest work contains flaws in logic and the philosophy of science. E.g. “self-creation” is logically contradictory, and the laws of science cause nothing to occur but describe what does occur. Comments- This is the best counter argument...for some type of God. But it says nothing of which God or what that God even thinks. Also the very nature of Quantum Physics is counter intuitive. Biologist E.O. Wilson stated that human brains evolved to believe in gods not in biology. Trying to imagine millions of years is hard for the human brain and the beginning of space and time even harder to conceptualize.
- He proposes a theory of multiverses, but this is not scientific since they can’t be observed.Comments-Double Standard? This is like throwing stones from a glass house for Creation Ministries. Faith is faith. The Concept of God is Faith.
- His M-theory isn’t supported by a shred of experimental evidence. Comments-The critique from Creation ministries would be more credible if they did not start from a certain axiom that Christianity is true. If Stephen Hawking has a bias well the folks at Creation Ministries have a bias as well. All I am hearing is Ad Hominem attacks. The best point was the self creation point but again the human brain has its limits of conception as well as experimentation when speaking of Cosmology or God for that matter.
Famous physicist goes beyond the evidenceis the sub title of this article by Sarfati. What I find interesting is that religious belief is based on this very thing going beyond the evidence. So even if his claim is true of Hawking then Sarfati needs to admit his own going beyond evidence. Where is the metacognition? If you use the sword of skepticism on Hawking and Darwin you should try using it on your own ideology and see where it stands. Creation apologists strain a gnat and swallow a camel.
I do see why Ad Hominem attacks are popular for partisan and tribal reasons but for curiosity and the desire to know not so good. Unless of course the person speaking is claiming to be an infallible spokesperson which I do not think Hawking is.